Whitman Requardt Office Building
the Harkins Method at its finest
Founded in 1915, Whitman, Requardt & Associates (WRA) is one of the most well-known and respected engineering design firms in the city of Baltimore. For many years, the firm had been headquartered in the stately former Federal Reserve building on St. Paul Street in Baltimore. However, with its growing business, aging facility, and an allegiance to Baltimore, the firm found a new location in Fells Point. Attracted by our approach to preconstruction, WRA selected Harkins to build its new headquarters.
Harkins preconstruction and construction personnel started regular meetings with WRA’s design staff. The new office building would be a four-story, brick clad, steel frame structure containing 75,000 sq. ft. of floor area. On the south side of the building would be a seven-level, 400-car, post tensioned concrete parking garage. Our team continued to work closely throughout the design and construction process with the Whitman, Requardt team, ultimately producing a successful project with our client.
How Harkins Made a Difference
- While excavating for the garage concrete pile cap foundations, chromium-contaminated soil was encountered. Harkins shut down the garage operation and met intensively with the owner and environmental consultants to establish and implement a remediation plan. When work finally resumed, the team was able to complete the garage to coincide with the completion and occupancy of the office building.