HB_001_AffordableCommercial IconGovernment Category IconHB_001_MarketRateMultifamily Category IconHB_001_RenovationHB_001_SeniorLivingChevron DownClose ButtonHamburger NavigationHeart IconFacebook LogoHarkins Logo Horizontallogo-harkins-with-textHarkins LogoInstagram LogoLinked-In LogoTwitter LogoYouTube LogoMagnifying GlassMinus ButtonMinus ButtonPlus ButtonPlus ButtonTriangle GroupTriangle Single

Deanwood Hills Celebrates Ribbon Cutting

Washington, DC

The Harkins team attended the ribbon cutting of Deanwood Hills on Tuesday, September 18th in Washington, DC.

Deanwood Hills transformed a blighted vacant property into 150-units of affordable housing. The site is a two-acre former trash-transfer facility located in the neighborhood northeast of Benning Road between Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue and the Maryland line. The apartment building includes a mix of studios and one-, two-, and three-bedroom units. Fifty of these units replaced public housing at Lincoln Heights and Richardson Dwellings, while the remaining 100 were offered as affordable to DC residents making 60 percent of the area median income.

Amenities include a cyber cafe, a fitness room, a game room, and bike storage and racks. The building has reflective roofing and paving that is lightly colored. In addition, 60% of the roof is covered with a green roofing system and the other 40% is occupied with roof mounted HVAC condenser units.

This project has greatly improved the public space around the area with new sidewalks, tree plantings, street lights, a playground space, and widening of an existing paper alley.

Ribbon Cutting Photos

Members of the Harkins team (from left to right): John Adams, Tom Whitehouse, Jeff See, John Kim, Mike Ebrahimi, Sam Hashemi, Gary Garofalo, Greg Pearson, and Mike Mallow.