Central VA/Hampton Roads
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Perform commercial and multi-family construction take-offs.
- Thorough understanding and interpretation of plans and specifications and the ability to recognize opportunities for value analysis.
- Ability to conceptualize and create construction budgets based on preliminary and schematic documents.
- Ability to estimate and control design of design build projects.
- Review scope and finalize construction budget for transition to Project Manager and site team.
- Ability to create and track a preconstruction design schedule to utilize through the preconstruction process.
- Analyze and coordinate plans and specifications.
- Apply unit costs to develop conceptual estimates.
- Perform site analysis, cut-to-fill studies, and geotechnical analysis.
- Actively seek out new work through all possible sources.
- Solicit subcontractors for projects and maintain strong subcontractor relationships.
- Seek out and maintain local subcontractor network.
- Engage and work with Project Managers on all projects.
- Work with Owner and Architect teams to develop and finalize contract documents.
- Oversee assigned estimators’ work, and provide coaching and mentoring to enhance personal and professional development.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, business, or related discipline.
- Minimum of three to five (3-5) years of experience in estimating.
- Experienced with Microsoft Excel (specifically for budgeting, data entry, and general use of formulas and formatting cells); Bluebeam (or other PDF reading and editing software); Microsoft Office (ie., Outlook, Word, etc.); Microsoft Teams; Procore (or similar construction management/bid management/contact database software).
- Experienced with Phoenix Project Management (for scheduling); Insite (or other cut-fill software for earthwork takeoffs); OnScreen Takeoff (or similar estimating software).
- Knowledgeable with CSI formats and ability to read and interpret plans and specs.
- Knowledgeable in construction industry, scheduling, contract law, contract types, and contract negotiations.
- Knowledgeable with regional marketplace, pricing, and subcontractor community.
- General understanding of financing programs (ie., HUD, CDA, DHCD, etc.) and their impact on Contract Types and their potential impact overall to the project.
- Field experience (preferred, not required).
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, cope with many issues, and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong negotiating and supervisory skills.
- Team player with ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to interact and function professionally with all parties.
Harkins Builders is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.