ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review and revise AIA contract documents, particularly cost-plus GMP contracts.
- Review and evaluate contractual language and propose additional terms to mitigate risk before sending contracts for approval to an appropriate signatory.
- Review vendor requested contract changes and advise project teams with regard to acceptable changes to the subcontract language to facilitate timely execution of agreements.
- Respond to and support internal/external contract issues and resolution procedures.
- Work with internal staff to assist with finalizing contracts and respective clarifications and exclusions, schedule, and general conditions.
- Professionally interaction with both preconstruction and project team members, administrative department representatives, clients (owners/developers), lenders, subcontractors, suppliers, consultants, and others to develop and/or negotiate agreements that are consistent with the Company risk management objectives.
- Advise on contracting strategies, risk mitigation approaches, contracting methods, etc. with internal staff.
- Interpret and apply established policies and procedures to arrive at a decision that may require presentation to a direct manager or other executives.
- Working knowledge of HUD contracts to understand what can be included in subcontracts and what can/cannot be clarifications and exclusions.
- Review builders risk coverage provided by the owner of default letters to trade partners.
- Ensure timely award, preparation, and execution of competitive and complete subcontracts, professional service contracts, and purchase contracts.
- Develop and maintain a contracts document database.
- The contract process is time-sensitive and requires meeting strict deadlines.
- Attend required corporate meetings, training programs, and Harkins University seminars/webinars and reinforce those same requirements within your assigned teams.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- An undergraduate degree (BA or BS) in a related field of study, such as Construction Management, Paralegal Studies, English, Psychology, Philosophy, Speech, Creative Writing, and other liberal arts; or paralegal certificate; advanced degree in law a plus.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of related or equivalent experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, including interfacing with senior-level staff members, clients, subcontractors, and others as noted above.
- Proficient in MS Word and MS Excel.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and possess strong computer skills.
- Ability to effectively proofread for contract errors and correct formatting issues.
- Demonstrated contract negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently but with a clear understanding of risks involved and when to solicit supervisor and/or senior management involvement.
- Ability to work with others to include but not limited to preconstruction and project team members, administrative department representatives, executives, clients (owners/developers), lenders, subcontractors, suppliers, and consultants.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to comply with deadlines.
- Understanding of construction, business law, or contract law is a plus.
- Knowledgeable with AIA contract documents, particularly cost-plus GMP contracts is a plus.
- Knowledgeable with Procore and other construction-related software applications is a plus.
Harkins is an equal opportunity employer. The company is fully committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all qualified applicants for employment, as well as to all its employees, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, ancestry or national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, the company provides reasonable accommodation to any disabled applicant in connection with the employment process, as well as to its employees in connection with all aspects of their employment.