ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Remain current on federal, state, and local regulations on construction safety.
- Receive complaints and reports on safety concerns and respond accordingly.
- Investigate and report on dangerous working conditions and forward the report and recommendations to the corporate safety director, lead superintendent, and project manager for review and necessary actions to be taken.
- Inspect project sites regularly to ensure implementation of federal, state, and local safety regulations (OSHA) and the Company’s safety policies and procedures.
- Prepare and issue detailed inspection reports and communicate professionally with site teams and safety department staff.
- Works with the project team to establish necessary safety controls and monitor and manage them.
- Review and approve all safety submittals.
- Works with Superintendent to facilitate the preparatory meeting where subcontractor safety submittals are discussed and reviewed for completeness before starting work.
- Thoroughly understand, administer, and enforce OSHA regulations, other federal, state, and local standards, and Company safety policies and procedures to establish and maintain a safe work environment.
- Enforce all safety regulations to ensure a safe work environment.
- Prepare detailed inspection reports for each project visit.
- Provide first aid support as necessary.
- Lead the investigation of all accidents and assist with the implementation of corrective actions
- Visit project sites at least monthly.
- Directing site teams in connection with safety issues on behalf of the company.
- Coach, mentor, and train employees on safety concerning specific job site concerns.
- Identify safety issues, suggest corrective action, and verify completion.
- Ensure on-site employees understand Harkins’ reporting procedures when a safety incident occurs.
- Ensure on-site employees are well-educated in safe practices and have all the resources necessary to work safely.
- Enforce and practice all governmental safety regulations, project requirements, and Company safety policies and procedures.
- Facilitate safety evaluation of construction sites.
- Ensure that all projects have first aid and safety supplies.
- Coordinate actions to remove dangerous equipment, tools, or chemicals on the project sites.
- Proficient in environmental laws as they pertain to construction safety.
- Enforce all Fire Safety Plans.
- Lead monthly new hire safety orientations
- Attend required corporate meetings, training programs, and Harkins’ seminars/webinars.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of five (5) years of construction safety experience or a 4-year accredited degree in construction, safety, or related discipline and three (3) years of construction safety experience.
- OSHA 30-hour certified and First Aid/CPR certified.
- OSHA credentials for OSHA 500
- Proficient in governmental Environmental, Safety & Health standards, rules, and regulations and applying them to construction projects.
- This position requires previous experience working within the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, USACE EM385-1-1 Safety & Health Standards, ANSI, NFPA, and other federal, state, local, or special customer regulations governing building construction safety requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safe work practices.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with management and field personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with all levels of the Company, federal and state representatives, Company insurance carrier, and outside vendors.
- Proof of training/competency in managing cranes, fall protection, excavation, scaffolds, and electrical safety.
Harkins is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.