Mission / Vision / Values
Our company was founded in 1965 by Thomas P. Harkins. These texts represent a written commitment to the values instilled in us by him.
Harkins Builders, Inc. is an employee-owned construction company that provides quality services to clients engaged in the development of multifamily residential, senior living, commercial, and military facilities in order to sustain a profit and create growth and opportunity for its employees.
Business Vision Statement
Harkins Builders is the benchmark of the building industry. We produce the highest quality projects, have the best and brightest people, and provide exemplary customer service.
Being the leader in our markets, new clients seek us for what our repeat clients already value: our responsiveness, reliability, quality, ingenuity, excellence, and integrity.
The best subcontractors seek our business and appreciate our fairness, promptness, and competence. Our competitors attempt to emulate us.
Our energized and talented employees achieve a uniform commitment to quality standards through a team approach that, in combination with our competitive pricing and Harkins Method, provides us with outstanding opportunities. We in turn invest in our employees and our community.
At Harkins we are building for the future, in our marketplace, in our communities, in our relationships, and in our company.
INTEGRITY & ETHICS
- We treat people fairly.
- We are honest in all communications.
- We negotiate a fair deal for all involved; we seek win-win outcomes.
- We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards.
- We do what we say we will do.
- We do the best job we know how, and we believe in the Harkins best construction practices.
- We promote the company’s reputation within our industry and community, and with our customers and employees.
- We conduct ourselves in a manner to make our founder, our chairman, and ourselves proud.
- We attract the most talented employees, and we promote from within.
- We teach all employees Harkins’ policies and procedures.
- We take the time to mentor, train, and support our employees so they can become the best they can be.
- We set clear expectations for job goals, quality, and performance at every level of the organization, and we hold ourselves accountable for them.
- We encourage, recognize, and reward excellence.
- We strive constantly to improve our employees’ personal welfare and well being.
- We optimize our profit potential.
- We minimize our corporate overhead.
- We stay within budget on general conditions.
- We manage our resources carefully.
- We set high standards for quality, plan those standards into jobs, and hold ourselves accountable, striving always to exceed even our own expectations.
- We do it right the first time.
- We hold Quality Assurance meetings monthly and examine our jobsites regularly to maintain the highest quality, safety, and cleanliness standards.
- We recognize that we have to work hard in our business, but we also work intelligently to create a balance between our professional and personal lives.
- We set high standards for productivity and we measure ourselves against them.
- We behave in a way that earns others’ trust and never jeopardizes it.
- We place our trust in others and verify that over time.
- We create an environment that encourages customers to tell us what they think; we seek to understand before seeking to be understood.
- We respond to our clients’ needs quickly and efficiently.
- We make our clients’ and subcontractors’ concerns our own.
- We provide outstanding preconstruction services.
- We consider it our responsibility to provide a high level of service to others, including our clients, coworkers, and our community at large.
- We provide our employees with a high level of benefits, human resource services, growth, and education and training opportunities.
- We treat others the way we would like to be treated.
- We practice honorable conduct that encourages goodwill, professionalism, and helpfulness.
- We cooperate and work with everyone to achieve the end result all desire.
- We listen to clients and communicate accurately, clearly, and knowledgeably.
- We seek win-win solutions to all issues.
- We encourage positive inter-departmental relations and respect.
SOCIETY & COMMUNITY
- We promote community service and charitable giving.
- We share with the community, both as a company and through employees as individuals.
- We encourage each employee to commit to worthwhile community and professional organizations.